Start off Dad’s summer on a great note by making him a sunglasses holder that he can really appreciate! Father’s Day crafts are always a welcome way to celebrate the day and all the more so with something that will actually get use. With just a few supplies, you can create a case that easily fits in a backpack, briefcase or glove compartment. Dad will surely think of the love that went into crafting this special gift every time he puts on or puts away his glasses.
- Foam sheet
- Felt Sheet
- Black elastic
- One Lanyard hank or string
- Small Hole Punch or Grommet Maker 1/8” or 3/16” diameter
- Glue and scissors
- Ruler and pencil
- Needle and thread (optional for older children and adult crafters)
- Cut out a 9.5” by 10.5” rectangle from both the foam and the felt.
- Glue pieces together.
- Fold in half so piece now measures 5.25” wide x 9.5” high.
- Cut a rounded corner on the bottom right open edge.
- Measure .25” from the sides next to the rounded edge and draw lines which curve where the material does (this is where you will punch holes).
- Punch holes .25 from each other on the lines. Be sure to get through both layers of foam and felt. Leave a few inches undone at the top to be able to cut the pouch to fit the sunglasses. You can always extend if needed.
- Tie a knot in a lanyard hank and thread the unknotted end through the hole closest to the fold. Use a whip stitch to pull the lanyard through each hole and around the edge of the material. Repeat until you reach the top.
- Use Dad’s glasses or a pair of around the same size to mark where the glasses will end on the case. Your lanyard stitches should measure just beyond the glasses. If not, add more stitches. Leave about .1” of foam beyond that which will remain and trim any excess beyond that.
- Finish the lanyard off with another knot and cut off the excess hank. Tuck both knotted lanyard ends into the closest stitch to hide them.
- On the front of the case, sew or glue a button centered .25” from the top.
- With a needle, poke a small hole in the back center of the case .25” down.
- Make a loop with black elastic and put both ends from the inside of the case through the back side of the case. Tie a knot.
- Bring the loop over the top of the case and hook over the button.
- If desired, cover the knotted elastic on the back with felt or foam.
- Your case can now be closed with this decorative touch.
- Cut out “Dad,” “Daddy. #1 DAD,” “Papa” or even “Grandpa” from felt and glue below the button. Let dry and give to your favorite father figure!
Ages: 5+ / Skills: Fine Motor (stitching, cutting and gluing), measuring